Clothes eating insects, sometimes called clothes moths or pantry moths, are tiny creatures that can cause a lot of damage to clothing, fabrics, and other stored items. They’re attracted to natural materials like wool, silk, and cotton, and they can quickly eat through these items, leaving them with holes.
In this article, we’ll introduce you to clothes-eating insects, explain what they are and why they eat clothes and list some popular ways to control them. We’ll also include a few natural methods that you can try, like using lavender oil or traps made of organic materials.
Finally, we’ll give you some tips on how to avoid infestations in the future and provide links for further reading. Let's dive deep into this topic.
Image Credit: http://terminix.com
What Are Clothes-Eating Insects?
Clothes eating insects are tiny creatures that feed on natural fabrics like wool, silk, and cotton. These insects can cause a lot of damage to clothing and other stored items, as they’re able to quickly eat through these materials.
While there are many different types of clothes eating insects, the most common one is the webbing clothes moth. This species is attracted to fabrics that contain keratin, which is a protein found in natural fibers like wool, silk, and cotton. The webbing clothes moth is also drawn to dirty fabrics, as they often contain sweat and other body oils that attract the moth.
The other reason why clothes-eating insects eat clothes is for shelter. The larvae of these insects will often spin webs on the surface of fabrics, using the material to build cocoons in which they can pupate. Once the cocoon is complete, the adult moth will emerge and begin to look for a mate.
How To Control Clothes Eating Insects
There are several different ways that you can control clothes eating insects. Some popular methods include:
- Using lavender oil: Lavender oil is a natural insecticide that can be used to kill clothes moths. You can either spray it directly on the fabric or put it in a diffuser to spread the scent.
- Using traps: There are several different types of traps that you can use to catch clothes moths. Some popular traps include sticky traps, pheromone traps, and bait traps.
- Removing contaminated items: If you find that you have a clothes-eating insect infestation, the best way to get rid of them is to remove all of the contaminated items from your home. This includes both clothes and fabrics that have been damaged by the insects, as well as any food items that may have been infested.
- Cleaning: In addition to removing contaminated items, it’s important to clean your home thoroughly to get rid of any eggs or larvae that may be present. Be sure to clean all of the cracks and crevices where the insects may be hiding, as well as any furniture that may have been infested.
- Using a vacuum cleaner: Vacuuming is a great way to get rid of clothes-eating insects, as it will suck up both the adults and the larvae.
- There are also several natural methods that you can try to control clothes-eating insects.
Commercial Products To Consider
There are also several commercial products that you can use to control clothes-eating insects. Some popular products include:
- Insecticidal dust: Insecticidal dusts are powders that you can sprinkle on fabrics to kill clothes moths.
- Insecticidal sprays: Insecticidal sprays are liquids that you can spray on fabrics to kill clothes moths.
- Clothes moth repellents: Clothes moth repellents are products that you can use to keep clothes moths from entering your home.
- Clothes moth traps: Clothes moth traps are products that you can use to catch clothes moths.
If you’re having trouble controlling clothes eating insects, it’s best to consult with a professional pest control company.
How To Get Red Dye Out Of Clothes
Insects might not be the only pests in your wardrobe. Spills and stains can be just as pesky for your clothes. Here's how to get red dye out of clothes:
- Soak the fabric in cold water for about 30 minutes.
- Add a little bit of dish soap to the water and mix it around.
- After the fabric has soaked, gently rub the stain with a toothbrush.
- Rinse the fabric thoroughly under cool running water.
- Hang the fabric to dry.
If you want to successfully get red dye out of clothes, you'll need to act quickly. The sooner you can treat the stain, the better your chances are of removing it.
Treating Bed Bugs In Furniture
Now that we've talked about clothes, let's speak about bugs and how to remove them from your furniture – specifically when it comes to dealing with bedbugs.
If you have bed bugs on your furniture, there are a few things you can do to get rid of them. You can try to treat the bugs yourself with over-the-counter products, or you can call a pest control company to have them treated for you.
If you decide to treat the bugs yourself, there are a few things you need to know. First, you need to identify the type of bug you are dealing with. Bedbugs look like small, red insects that suck blood. They are typically found in mattresses, bed frames, and other furniture near the bed.
Once you have identified the bugs, you can begin treatment. There are a few different types of products that can be used: sprays, powders, and bombs. Be sure to read the instructions carefully and follow them exactly.
Image Credit: http://terminix.com
It is important to note that you should not treat bed bugs in your furniture if you have pets or small children in your home. Pets and children can be injured by the products, and they can also come into contact with the bugs. If you are unable to treat the furniture yourself, you may want to consider calling a pest control company.
Final Thoughts On How To Control Clothes Eating Insects
In conclusion, there are several ways to control clothes eating insects. While some methods are more effective than others, all of them have the potential to help keep your clothes from being damaged. Hopefully, this article has helped you learn more about these pesky critters and the best ways to get rid of them.